For this week’s “On the Table” piece, we are digging into a couple different things. A lot of our focus outside is on planning for the winter, preparing for the next season, and just maintaining as we dig in for the winter and await the wonders of the next big growing season.
Unfortunately, many of us use this wait-time to enjoy the holidays. Why “unfortunate”? Well, because with that comes an abundance of consumption! While we love our healthy fruits and veggies, winter eating sometimes results in packing on a few more calories than this here weasel really needs, to be honest!
So, this week, I thought I would be a healthy weasel. And while doing so, I’d hit on our recent theme of planning and preparation. It can be just as important as in the garden if your goals are to save time and be efficient.
So, we’re going to be healthy little weasels. We’re going to be efficient, using garden fresh ingredients to make quick and simple smoothies that can serve as a meal replacement, a healthy dessert, or just a fun and healthy snack.
So my search initially led me to this one. And it is as good as it looks!
Kale Piña-Covado (Protein-Packed!)
- 2/3 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 large hand-fulls (50 g) kale ~the leaves of about 8 stalks
- 1/3 c (80 g) pineapple chunks
- 1/2 (50 g) ripe avocado
- 1 scoop protein powder (vanilla, or whatever sounds good!)
- 1 c ice cubes
- Put all ingredients into a blender and puree until smooth!
Next, I wanted to share one from a blog I found – not only because it looked (and as I found out IS) tasty, but because of the organizational efforts that this blogger put into dividing and storing into serving size baggies, making it simple and easy to drop a bag into the blender and GO! This one covers our “planning” and preparation focus –
EASY Spinach Smoothie
- 1 c spinach (preferably fresh, from your own garden!)
- 1 c fresh or frozen mixed berries
- 1 c tropical fruit mix/assortment
- 1-1.5 c orange or cranberry juice
- optional supplements/powder
- Once again, put all ingredients into a blender and puree until smooth!
This one was found and borrowed from Lovin’ Our Chaos. Again, if you are a busy weasel like me and in a hurry most mornings, check out their site and get some good tips on storing up serving sized bags to make things a lot quicker and easier.